Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A Scientific Approach to Baby Naming

The good news: I think we're very close to having a baby name. We've got one that's percolating and growing on us day by day, so it might be a keeper. Neither one of us loves it, but we can tolerate it, and that's good enough.

The bad news: I'm married to an engineer, who is currently developing an algorithm for naming our child, which may or may not support the latest fave.

So how do you mathematically choose a baby name?

First, we each wrote down names that appealed to us. Second, Leigh categorized our choices using three different baby name books. It turns out that I like names in the "timeless" and "brisk and breezy" categories. Leigh likes names in the "fitting in/standing out" category. Then, Leigh cross-referenced the lists to identify the baby names found in all three categories. Now, he's narrowing down that list based on popularity. When I last left him, he was downloading 200 years worth of historical baby-name data from the Social Security Administration.

The end result? The perfect name.

3 comments:

Kevin said...

I'm not getting the feeling that you're fully on board with the naming process. You can't just grab a name out of thin air. A great deal of thought and research must be put into it. This is something that this child is going to have to live with for their entire life - from school playgrounds to company board rooms. You can't just open a book and willy nilly grab the first thing that catches your fancy. Leigh is to be commended for his effort and dedication to this process. I think you need to reconsider your stance on this task and put your full support behind his work and offer any help you can offer. The huge effort I put into the name database lets me sleep well at night knowing I chose the two most perfect names - Jermajesty II and Optimus.

Josh said...

What the hell he a "fitting in/standing out" category? I think maybe Leigh has become one of those smart guys who writes letters to the editor in all caps.

Unknown said...

"FITTING IN / STANDING OUT" NAMES ARE NOT TOO POPULAR AND NOT TOO WEIRD