Friday, November 27, 2009

Giving thanks

Yesterday was our first Thanksgiving as a family. I really wanted to be able to show you pictures of a smiling Sorgen family sitting around the Thanksgiving feast, but in reality, Leigh ate dinner by himself while I nursed Grant, and then I scarfed down my dinner while Leigh tried to stave off a crying jag. It was the most stressful Thanksgiving dinner I've ever had, and considering our families, that's saying a lot.

Regardless, it was a day to give thanks, and Grant was full of gratitude.

First, Grant thanked Margaret and Jen for their morning visit by screaming his head off, spitting up on Jen and pooping in Margaret's arms. Later that night, Grant thanked Mommy and Daddy for their unflagging devotion and sacrifice by staying up until 10 p.m., and then going on another sleepless bender (think six hours of sleep in a 24-hour period). Mommy and Daddy were thankful they didn't kill each other by the end of the night.

I, too, have gratitude, and this year, more than others, I've paused to reflect on what I'm thankful for. Of course, there are the usual suspects - health, family, a good job, etc. But in light of how our lives have changed so drastically in the span of six weeks, I've added a few things to the list.

I'm thankful for...

- a two-hour stretch of sleep
- the opportunity to take a long shower and maybe even shave my legs (the luxury!)
- frozen dinners
- the Miracle blanket
- the fact that a $2 set of plastic keys can entertain Grant as much as our pricey swing and activity gym
- the Internet and all of its mommy forums
- neighbors who have not yet filed a noise complaint against us
- Dr. Phil, Judge Marilyn Milian, Oprah Winfrey and all my other daytime TV friends
- bottles (now if we could only get Grant to take a pacifier...)

But most of all, I'm thankful for a son who is healthy and generally pretty good (so what if he only sleeps occasionally? It could be a LOT worse, and for that, I'm grateful), and a husband who is loving and patient with Grant, and even more so with me.


Grant, with Margaret


Me, on three hours of sleep


After a bath - "Why, Mommy, why?"

No comments: